Acacia Tortilis, Lake Manyara National Park, Tanzania, 2018.
Platinum-palladium print (1:1) on Reich vellum paper
from 8×10 inch negative original
We are pushed up by the same force that pushes us down. The things that hide from us also hide us. What obscures the light also hides the dark from ourselves, from ourselves.
But wait, there, you can look at darkness and light at the same moment. Time is set aside. And space. Love too; you as you and me as me. All set aside in the sameness. All one mesh.
I am very happy to announce that my dear friend Mike Ware and I have been contracted to write a book about our variant of the platinum/palladium printing process for Focal / Routledge Press, as a part of their series on contemporary practices in alternative photography. We invite submissions of examples of work as detailed below.
Please note that we are writing a book about the print-out platinum/palladium process using ammonium-based iron, platinum and palladium salts. This call is for work made with this method.
The submission deadline is December 15, 2019. Please submit work as far ahead of that date as possible.
Notifications of receipt will be sent out promptly. Results will be announced by January 15, 2020.
Focal Press, an imprint of Routledge, has spearheaded a series entitled Contemporary Practices in Alternative Process Photography. Each book in the series is devoted to a single process, or a process and its related techniques. Now, Focal Press/Routledge and Pradip Malde, with Mike Ware, are teaming up to publish a book about the platinum/palladium print-out method using ammonium salts, for which we invite you to submit work.
Submission of works asks you to:
1. Go to the online submission form – the form guides you through all subsequent stages, as summarized below
2. Enter some contact details
3. Provide a brief biography
4. Submit a brief statement about the work
5. Select some details about process
6. List image titles and corresponding filenames
7. Upload between 3 and 10 image files formatted as TIFF file, no compression, in sRGB colorspace, 8 bits per channel, sized as close to but no larger than 300ppi, 10 ̋ longest side, maximum file size 40 MB each. Each file must be named: <yourlastname_filename.tiff or, if submitting for a group: <groupname_filename>tiff e.g. malde_20190902.tiff or kozoeditions_20190902.tif. Please try to include in each scan/copy a standardized color target, captured under the same conditions as the prints–this will allow for color-accurate reproduction. There are suggestions about how to copy and scan here.
Submission does not guarantee that your image(s) will be published. Although there is no monetary compensation, the benefits include wide exposure of your work, a publication line on your résumé, and the placing of your work in a contemporary account about the platinum/palladium print-out method using ammonium salts.
If your work is accepted, you will be asked to respond to a supplemental 500 to 2000-word questionnaire about your working process, and to complete a release form.
We thank you for your interest!