Pradip Malde was born in 1957 in Arusha, Tanzania. Since graduating from the Glasgow School of Art in 1980, he has lived and worked as a photographic artist and teacher in Scotland and Tennessee.
He was appointed Lecturer in Photographic Arts at Napier University, Edinburgh in April 1985. His first trip to the USA, also in 1985, ultimately resulted in a long-term involvement with the Imogen Cunningham Trust. This included making platinum/palladium prints from Cunningham’s negatives, curating a number of exhibitions of her work in the USA and in Europe, and authoring the book “The Poetry of Form“. This first visit also introduced Malde to Sewanee, TN and the University of the South, where he is currently appointed as Professor of Fine Arts. He has also taught, in the past few years, summer sessions at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, California State University at Long Beach, and Anderson Ranch, CO among others.
Works are held in numerous collections, including the Museum of the Art Institute of Chicago; Houston Museum of Fine Art, Houston, TX; Center for Creative Photography, Tucson, AZ; Princeton University Museum, Princeton, NJ; Victoria & Albert Museum, London; the Scottish Arts Council, Edinburgh; the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh; the Arts Council Of Great Britain, London; The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) Collection, London; The British Council, London, The Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago; and The Royal Photographic Society Collection at the National Museum of Film, Photography and Television, England.
ONE-PERSON EXHIBITIONS Selected list
- Jul 07 Looking At God, Cheekwood Museum, Nashville, TN
- Sep 06 With Rachel Malde. Glen Urquhart School, Beverly, MA
- Jan 06 New work, Walsh Gallery, Chicago, IL
- Dec 03 – 06 “Thresholds: Art in Spiritual Life”, satellite solo at Smith-McAllister Funeral Chapel, Charleston, SC. Group show touring the Southern States.
- Sep 03 “Demarcation”, Walsh Gallery, Chicago
- Aug 03 “Campsite for the Non-Citizen”, University Gallery, Sewanee, TN.
- Nov 99 “Dragon”, Pluto Gallery, Oslo, Norway
- April 99 New Work, Upstairs Gallery, Atlanta, GA.
- Feb 97 “Wake”, St. Andrew’s School, Sewanee, TN.
- Aug 96 “Prayer and Despair: Photographs and Calligraphy, 1995”, Edinburgh College of Art / Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Touring until 1998
- Feb-Mar 96 Photographs and calligraphy. Kiang Gallery, Atlanta.
- Jan 96 “Black Magnolia II”, River Gallery, Chattanooga, TN.
- May 95 “Black Magnolia I”, Viewpoint Gallery, Sacramento, CA.
- Nov 94 “Walls Within”, Chattanooga State Technical Community College, Chattanooga, TN.
- Nov 94 “The Marriage of Heaven and Hell”, Wisteria Artspace, Brooklyn, NY.
- Jan 93 “The Marriage of Heaven and Hell: Photographs 1993”, The University Gallery, Sewanee, TN, USA.
- May 92 Pradip Malde: photographs, Frankfurt Foto Forum, Frankfurt, Germany
- Mar 92 “Zauberei”, Fotogalerie in der Schwanenburg, Kleve, Germany
- Nov 90 Photographs: 1984-1990, University Gallery, Sewanee, Tennessee
- Sept 90 “Memory, Balance, Love”, Portfolio Gallery, Edinburgh
- Aug 90 “Magic”, Lindemanns Galerie, Stuttgart
- Oct 89 Canon Gallery, Amsterdam
- Oct 86 “Still Life”, Somerstown Studios & Art Gallery, Somers, New York
- 1984-86 “Alchemical Windows”, touring exhibition started at Collins Gallery, Glasgow
- July 81 Pier Arts Centre, Stromness, Orkney
GROUP EXHIBITIONS Selected List
- Aug 06 Between Substance and Matter, with David Williams and Robin Gillanders. University Gallery, Sewanee, TN
- Oct 05 Disappearance and Gathering. St. Andrews-Sewanee Gallery, TN, with Rachel Malde
- Feb 03 New Work, Fugitive Gallery, Nashville, TN. With Edward Davee.
- Dec 03 “Thresholds: Art and Spiritual Life”, City Gallery / Riverfront, Charleston, SC (traveling through 2004)
- Oct 03 “Still Life”, Napier University Gallery, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Sep 03 “30 by 30”, Cheatle Gallery, London.
- Jul 03 “Out of the Box”, Walsh Gallery, Chicago
- Jun 02 Zeitgeist Gallery, Nashville, TN.
- March – Dec 00 Acquisitions, Aberdeen Museum & Art Gallery, Aberdeen, Scotland
- Museum of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Nov 99 Bound Images, Upstairs Gallery, Atlanta
- Sept-Nov 99 Common Ground: Alternative Processes in Photography, Memorial Union Art Gallery, Davis, CA
- April 99 “Into the Light: Photographic printing out of the darkroom”, the Royal Photographic Society, Bath, England.
- July 95 “Light From the Dark Room: a Celebration of Scottish Photography”, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh.
- Oct 94 “35 Years of Barbie Doll”, Photokina, Dusseldorf, Germany.
- Oct 90-94 “Scottish Photography Now”, Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh, and touring Europe via the British Council
- Aug 89 “Through The Looking Glass”, Barbican Art Gallery, London
- May 88 Print Room, The Photographers’ Gallery, London (with Mari Mahr & Mark Warner)
- Mar 87 featured artist, Sheffield Media Show, Sheffield Polytechnic, Sheffield, England
- Feb 86 Portraits, Scott Gallery, University Of Lancaster, Lancaster, England (with Elizabeth Motlow)
- Sep 84 Society Of Scottish Artists Annual Exhibition: Invited Artist, Royal Academy, Edinburgh, Scotland
Works are held in various private collections in the US of A and Europe, and in the collections of
Museum of the Art Institute, Chicago;
Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago;
Houston Museum of Fine Art, Houston, TX;
Center for Creative Photography, Tucson, AZ;
Princeton University Museum;
Victoria & Albert Museum, London;
the Scottish Arts Council, Edinburgh;
the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh;
the Arts Council Of Great Britain, London;
The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) Collection, London;
The British Council, London;
The Royal Photographic Society, Bath, England.
OTHER ACTIVITIES selected list, since 2000
- Sep 2007 Artist-in-residence, Georgia College and State University, Milledgeville, GA
- Jan 2007 Visual Arts Paneilist, National Foundation for the Advancement of the Arts, Miami, FL
- Jan 2006 Master Class, National Foundation for the Advancement of the Arts, Miami, FL
- Nov 2005 Visiting Artist, Portfolio Center, Atlanta, GA
- July 2005 Artist Residency, Crear Visual and Performing Arts Center, Argyll, Scotland
- Feb 2004 Visiting Artist, University of Georgia, Athens
- Oct 2003 Featured visiting artist, Atlanta Celebrates Photography, Atlanta, GA
- 1996-2003 Visiting Artist, Summer Program, School of the Art Institute, Chicago